Friday, January 11, 2013

11.1.13

Language is the "road" too, not just the goal.

I just got up from a siesta and realized that I do not want to miss another minute that I am here in Sevilla.
I am staying up too late, to enjoy the evenings here and during class I find myself so tired. But each day I awake and feel so very grateful to have this experience and to awake in the country of Spain. As I entered class today my professor asked how I was and I said so very happy. He seemed a little surprised by my answer and asked why...because I am in Spain, was my reply and he smiled and shook his head. There are only a few things in this life that would make me happier than I feel right now.
My professor is an excellent teacher.
For example, today we went to the Maria Louisa Park, as a class. As we were going about our class, a group of school children came upon us and I was watching to see and hear what I could to appreciate this culture and suddenly Andre asked that we stop class to observe and see what we could understand in Spanish and in culture. Later, as we were walking back to the University, I stopped to enjoy the huge lantana along the sidewalk and Andre asked me if I knew what it was and as I explained how to say it in English, he began to converse with me so that I could talk to him about it in Spanish. He wants to make sure that we take in as much as possible about his native city...and I am doing my best to accommodate him.

The quote above was written on the board when I came into class today.
So very true. Thank you Andre.




No comments:

Post a Comment